Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Commentary On A Classmates Blog

I read an entry from my classmates blog, Thoughts About Texas Politics. The article I read was "Austin's Environment" and it was about how Austin should be more eco-friendly. I agree with this belief and would like to expand the argument by proving that the beliefs stated are already being put into effect. In an article published by Austin Business Journal the author states that the Austin city council voted and  "unanimously"  passed a bag ban ordinance. The ordinance will begin March of 2013 and will prohibit retail stores from offering "single-use" plastic or paper bags, customers can bring in reusable bags if they wish. My classmate had great insight by saying that completely banning plastic bags without educating people on how to go "green" might be a disaster. In the same article by the Austin Business Journal, it is said that 2 million dollars will go to educating people on how to switch to reusable bags.
 I agreed with one of my classmates ideas or a con to the bag ban of there being and issue of shoplifting with reusable bags, but I think it is a chance that should be worth the risk because it will save the environment.  The only thing I disagreed with my classmate on was the idea that people will have a hard time adjusting to a change like banning plastic bags. I think, like any habit, it will take time but people will eventually remember to bring reusable bags into a store with them. I think it will only takes one time for a person to go into a grocery store and have to carry out all the items without bags to turn it into  a habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment